Friday, 10 March 2017

Evaluation Question 2

When creating my three texts (Video, Poster and Digipack) I had to create a strong brand identity which would make the texts seem more cohesive and attract my target audience. I did this by carrying themes, props, locations, colours, fonts and styles over into my different texts.
The main theme of my video, decaying and broken things, is hinted at through the image used on my advert and digipack. The images I chose to use were close-ups of the decaying trailer, an important piece of mise-en-scene in my video, which showed  the idea of decay through a still image. I chose to adjust the colours to give the impression that the process was happening quickly, but also to imply the place was being regrown if viewed from another perspective. This links to the theme of renewal, shown at the end of my video.
Like I mentioned in the previous paragraph, the trailer was carried over into all of my texts. Another important object from the video, the water butt, was also shown in my digipack. In the video, it represents heavy negative emotion and how the protagonist fights against it, but eventually gets used to it. I designed my digipack to be a sort of muddled adventure through the protagonist’s mind, starting with images of decaying wood and metal, the song lyrics ‘sun hasn’t died’ (sung in the last verse), and finally, the forest, water butt and rusted rims.
The main body of my work had no distinct colour scheme. Most of the colours came from the natural surroundings or from the effects I used. The only colours I intentionally used were black and white, which are easy to read, but also represent the binary opposites, reflecting the two distinct moods of my video.
The three main fonts I used were Dirty Headline, used for its eroded look, No More Lies, used for its natural look and M Ponderosa, used due to its similarities to the Imagine Dragons logo. These fonts were used in all three of my texts to create an even stronger brand identity.
The look of my texts will be identifiable by my target audience as they follow enough conventions to seem similar to the other works in the indie rock genre, but subvert and develop enough to be unique. The use of props, textures and natural light instead of faces, bands and made-made lighting or drawn covers and graphics will set my texts apart from the rest.

I think I was successful with linking my works together. However, I wish I included more symbols from the video (burning flower, the carved benches and clocks) in my ancillary tasks. I chose not to as I thought the image of the trailer was strong enough on it’s own and told the story of the video in a very simplified way.

No comments:

Post a Comment